Vet Detective Community Service Ideas
- Design a game for young children related to the Vet Detective kit.
- Adopt a zoo animal.
- Form a "we love animals" club and volunteer to care for
animals at a children's zoo.
- Organize a community dog wash.
- Volunteer to clean out animal shelters.
- Collect and sort newspapers to donate to a local animal shelter.
- Collect food and supplies needed for a local zoo or animal shelter.
- Lead animals in an annual parade.
- Write and produce a play about a current issue related to the Vet
- Take a pet to a nursing home.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter, Help clean up, play with the animals,
or do whatever's needed to make the shelter a nicer "temporary"
home for the animals.
- Become a foster parent for a pet. Some shelters have temporary foster
care programs. You take care of a pet until they can find a permanent
home for it.
- Paint a mural with the Wonderwise theme over graffiti.
- Feature community -minded scientists on a school bulletin board.
- Collect children's science books for the needy.
- Create a play that teaches young children about concepts in the Wonderwise
- Write or make a picture book about the concepts in the Wonderwise
series to read to younger youth.
- Organize a public issues forum focused on topics discussed in Wonderwise.
Become an advocate. Contact your legislators on topics discussed in
- Set up an informational display at a local library on the Wonderwise
- Volunteer to help set up for a community event on the Wonderwise topics.
- Adopt a billboard and use it for a public service announcement.
- Raise money for pet causes by organizing a pet photo session.
- Organize a pet show for a local nursing home.
- With the support of a vet clinic, organize a spay campaign to get
animals neutered and spayed at a reduced rate.
- Set up donation centers for animal products to be donated to the needy.
- Learn about pet therapy and conduct pet therapy with your animal at
nursing homes and child care centers.
- Find out about raising a dog for persons with disabilities.
- Find homes in shelters for abandoned pets.
- Hatch ducks for release in the wild.
- Care for a neighbor's pet.
- Find out about volunteer opportunities at a local wildlife sanctuary
or survival center.
Funding for this Web site was provided by the
Informal Science Education Program of the National Science Foundation.