Sea Otter Biologist Community Service Ideas
- Design a game for young children related to the Sea Otter Biologist
- Paint a mural with the Wonderwise theme over graffiti.
- Feature community-minded scientists on a school bulletin board.
- Organize a car-pooling campaign in your neighborhood to cut down on
- Clean up trash along a river or in a park.
- Create a habitat for wildlife.
- Test the health of the water in your local lakes, rivers or streams.
- Take household toxic waste to a proper disposal facility.
- Adopt highways and clean up clutters.
- Organize a hazardous waste collection.
- Pick up liter.
- Clean up a beach or riverbed.
- Clean up after a natural disaster.
- Paint a mural or clean up a local park.
- Collect children's science books for the needy.
- Create a play that teaches young children about concepts in the Wonderwise
- Write or make a picture book about the Wonderwise concepts to read
to younger children.
- Organize a public issues forum focused on topic discussed in Wonderwise.
Become an advocate. Contact your legislators on topics discussed in
- Organize a campaign to paint storm drains to prevent the dumping of
- Set up an informational display at a local library on the Wonderwise
- Volunteer to help set up for a community event on the Wonderwise topics.
- Adopt a billboard and use it for a public service announcement about
- Participate in an annual parade.
- Write and produce a play about a current issue related to toxic waste.
- Start environmental club.
- Form a "we love animals" club and volunteer to care for
animals at a children's zoo.
- Collect food and supplies needed for a local zoo, animal shelter,
or food bank.
- Adopt a zoo animal.
- Hatch ducks for release in the wild.
- Find out about volunteer opportunities at a local wildlife sanctuary
or survival center.
Funding for this Web site was provided by the
Informal Science Education Program of the National Science Foundation.